From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Friday, December 22, 2006

Day one in the Andes

Did I happen to mention to any of you that I get to spend the next number of months wandering through, around, below, on, and perhaps even above the Andes Mountains? What a surreal realization! Day one in Patagonia and already I'm in love (that's with it raining all day which means I have yet to see the peaks). Today we took a hike that paralleled a waterfall. Below, a lake seeped through the forest and peaked out through the fog. We also enjoyed some of the fabulous, locally produced wine and meandered through the downtown part of Bariloche (which more closely resembles a European city than a Latin one). As I pass by all the signs pointing toward the ski resorts, hear stories of the snow still caked on Cerro Tronador, and see the snowy white photos on tourism pamphlets, I have to admit that I've all but made up my mind to try to stay through winter (Anyone want to visit?). Okay, I realize it's day one, but let's just say the thought of it is already crystallizing (no pun intended). Anywho, I'll get some photos posted in the coming days... hopefully offering a taste of the incredible beauty I've found in this far southern land.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home