From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mamas and their babies

Yesterday I went for a nice long run by the Eagle River Nature Center. As I was driving home, on a gorgeous, curvy, two-lane mountain road, I saw a bit of movement in the brush. Assuming moose, I slowed down. Out in front of me, darted a huge black bear. Two, dare I say it, adorable cubs trailed behind. All three bears dashed across the road and were gone in seconds. I was left with a profound sense of awe about this amazing place that I live. Yeah, I have to make a ton of noise, aka shout like a maniac, when I'm running by myself in the woods; but how cool that I can spend the day in the office, and then spend the early evening bear viewing and running in a glacier-carved valley... pretty darn cool.

And speaking of wildlife, the other day I went to back out of my drive way. As usual, I checked my rear view mirror to see if anybody was coming... there was something coming, but not a car or a bike rider. Nope, it was mama moose and two babies that were standing in plain view of my mirror. Not a bad way to start the day, if you ask me.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home