From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Resurrection Pass 50

With one ultra down, the question is: How many more to go? The Resurrection Pass 50 mile race was awesome: sunny day, light breeze, gorgeous course, lots of shade, good company and a time I'm jazzed about. I finished yesterday's race in 9 hours, 4 minutes - placing first among females and third overall. (Note: There were only about 15 racers total, so while this is super cool, I'm nowhere close to hitting the pro circuit ; )

But the best part of the day wasn't my time or the sunshine; it was that I didn't finish alone. Zippy, my energetic and adoring pup, ran the whole race with me. Since I don't know the exact date of Zippy's birthday, but I know he's close to 1 year old, I decided yesterday was his birthday and the run was our way to celebrate. Between chasing marmots and checking in on runners ahead and behind, Zippy probably ran 70 to 90 miles. For that he should get extra kudos, especially since today, when we woke up, Zippy was so fully of puppyness, we went out for a three mile walk. Now, finally, he's snoozing next to me on the couch.

The Resurrection Pass 50 is a perfect first ultra marathon to tackle. The course has a decent amount of elevation gain and loss, but it's all pretty gradual. The trail is in great condition and the scenery is spectacular - fields of fireweed and lots of streams and creeks. The first 38 miles cross from Cooper Landing to Hope on the Kenai Peninsula. This part of the race is unsupported so racers need to carry all their food, water and clothes. I took a small running pack and hip pack. At the trailhead in Hope there's an aid station, and then four miles of flat running on gravel road, followed by a four mile switch-backed climb up a hill, also on gravel road, to another aid station. At the top of the hill, runners turn around and retrace the four miles back to the finish line. There's no charge to enter (the race director asks for a $20 donation), and with such a small field, no assigned numbers. Signing up was as simple as sending an e-mail to the race director. There's also a 100 mile race, which starts in Hope, goes to Cooper Landing and then returns to Hope. Five people entered the 100 miler this year, with four finishing.

I guess, all that's left to say is: Leadville 100, here I come. (Next summer).

5:30 a.m. - getting ready to run 50 miles
A photo finish for Amy and Zippy with a time of 9 hours, 4 minutes
Zippy takes a post-race snooze
Hanging out in the sun, eating yummy food and drinking beer - the perfect way to celebrate a great day out on the trail

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Why did you get pulled over on the way home?

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home