From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Friday, November 12, 2010

You know you're an Alaskan if ...

I recently spent a full two days organizing and moving into my new room here in Jackson - great digs, with great room mates. In the process I came across a scrap piece of paper where I had been jotting down all the things that make Alaskans unique. So here it is, my top five list for:

You know you're an Alaskan if:

1) You're on a bike path and a passerby tells you, "There's a mom and a baby" - and you know that, of course, they're referring to a mom and baby moose.

2) You buy your dipnett at a drive thru on the Kenai Peninsula.

3) Your daily commute takes you past a road sign that points the way to a correctional center, a landfill and a campground - three adjacent facilities (the Hiland Road exit).

4) You're more fascinated by state politics than sports, because after all Alaska politics are practically a sport.

5) You don't bat an eye at the Bed, Bath and Beyond customer service sign that has "bush orders" next to "wedding gift registry."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home