From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A Coffee Trajedy

If you refer to my previous comments you will note that when I first arrived I was a bit grieved by the widespread use of instant coffee in a country renowned for their beans. After breakfast the last three days I must say that instant coffee has become the equivalent of a Kaladi Latte.

It all began at 6:45 a.m. on Jan. 23. I woke up to the wonderful sound of percelating coffee. Excited, I quickly pulled on my jeans and headed for the breakfast table. The coffee was there waiting for me... and I eagerly grabbed the cup. But when I went to drink it, there was something horribly worng. Eyeing the costco size folgers container collecting dust on the shelf, I assumed the weak taste could be attributed to this.

Now we fastfoward to the next day. Again the sound of percelating coffee filled my bedroom. With a little less haste I made my way toward the kitchen where I was witness to a very sad affair. My host mom filled my cup ¾ full of hot water before putting in a few gulps of the folgers coffee. “Que lastima!” I thought. “I’ve never had a worse tasting cup of coffee in my life.”

But after this morning I learned that it can get worse. When it was time for breakfast my host mom once again repeated the atrocity of filling my cup almost full with hot water. Then she proceeded to add some of yesterday’s folgers coffee to the drink.... if you can even call it that... it was more of a concotion if you ask me. At this point I could take it no more and asked for some instant milk. I then proceeded to fill the “drink” with instant milk, making something mas o menos (more menos than mas) equivalent to coffee flavored milk. Not great, but edible =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home