From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Todo lo paso bien

Grettings From Xela. Here you will find Amy happy and well. I love studying spanish five hours a day, well actually 24 hours if you take into account that all my convsersation in the house is in spanish, the movies I watch are in spanish, I have homework in spanish at night, and I even attended a lecture about CAFTA (The central american free trade agreement) spanish. It´s great... I can see my language skills improving hourly.

So I have to say that God was definitely smiling on me when he picked the family for me to live with. As I mentioned earlier this was definitely the part that I was most aprehensive about because of my experiences in Argentina. It has turned out to be one of the best parts of my stay. The family is so friendly and my room is nice. I had to laugh at the fact that the water in the shower pours through a plastic bag and the wires are exposed, but after finding out that in one of the other student´s house they have to make a fire to heat the water for the shower I am left with no complaints.

So everytime you travel abroad you´re bound have some embaressing moments. My first one happened last night when I was walking home. I got to "my house" and tried to open the door with my key. The lock is sometimes hard to open but I was having a particularly difficult time. After five minutes someone on the other side of the door asked me who it was. I said in spanish, "Amy, I don´t know why the key is not working." The door opened and on the otherside it was definitely NOT my family. It was their neighbors. They said they were about ready to call the police - oops. Needless, to say I apologized profusly.

So yah, all is going well. Look forward to more updates soon.

With love, Amy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha, trying to break into the neighbor's house... proof that you don't have to be blonde to have a blonde moment ;) Glad everything's going well for ya!

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home