From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Saturday, November 19, 2005

A lost key, snow conditions and Warren Miller

     Can you say winter wonderland? Wet, sticky, gigantic snowflakes are falling out of the darkening sky. Beautiful? Absolutely! Helping my plight to find my key that I dropped somewhere between my house and the car? Not in the least! Given the situation I think I will be forced to rent a metal detector from Baily’s Rental. It’s better than having to change all the locks, I’ll tell you that much. Does anyone else note the irony? I’ve wanted nothing more than for it to snow for the last two months. And then the one night I lose my key the white stuff starts falling. Well, hopefully the skiing will at least be good. The snow that’s falling now might actually glue itself to the measly layer of snow we had previously in the mountains because the storm started off so warm. This particular weather phenomenon is excellent because it means the conditions will be much more stable. But I suppose I will find out exactly how calm or furious the avalanche dragon is tomorrow when I go out to Turnagain Pass with my snow science class and two professional avalanche forecasters. What can I say, some classes are rough!
     Speaking of snow I don’t actually recommend paying to see the Warren Miller film this year. I know blasphemy! But I’ve come to the conclusion that Warren Miller died and they didn’t want to tell anyone because I don’t know why else Warren Miller would a) stop narrating and b) allow such a sub-standard film to hit the theaters. You heard me right, he’s not narrating this year. Yay, he says the typical introduction and goodbye – “see you next year, same time, same place” – but the rest of the film all you hear is Jeremy Bloom. Warren Miller probably didn’t even say the introduction and good-bye – since he’s dead and all – I’m sure they just took sound bites from previous movies. So the one part I did like was a spoof they did about ski clothing styles through the decades. The guy decked out in 70’s garb was so my dad “back in the day.” It was pretty funny! Anyway, I’ll stop rambling. Hope you all are feeling as beautiful as the snow outside.

Love,
Amy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home