From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Thursday, June 22, 2006

A day after the solstice

It is a day after the solstice, but it is suprisingly dark outside (due to the steady rainfall that started yesterday). At this point, life in Alaska is life in Alaska.... and I've become once again folded into its currents. Around me I hear talk of gas lines and mosquitoes, four wheeling and bears, small towns and big politics. Returning home hasn't been as painful as I feared, in fact, it's nice to be back (I'm especially enjoying hot showers), but it doesn't mean that I don't think about Guatemala on an almost hourly basis... I can still picture Volcan Santa Maria blanketed in clouds, hear the click of the key as I fanagle the lock on my house, smell fresh baked piedras from Xela Pan, taste the always delicious mangos and avocados and feel my friends hugs and kisses (yes it is customary to kiss on the cheek there). Some might call it pining, I call it remembering...remebering that life really is limitless despite what we pretend...remembering that we never need as much as we think we do...and remembering that there are many good people in the world.

To the summers and winters ahead,
Amy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home