From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Reed Lakes

Despite the dark skies dripping with water, I felt absolutely determined to get out of the house, even for just a night. So on Sunday, after drinking two cups of coffee and reading the newspaper cover to cover, I packed my backpack and headed out the door toward Hatcher Pass. The rain seemed to intensify as I approached the trail head. I pushed away the thoughts of "are you crazy," with the thoughts of "at least you have your gators and lots of layers." And I'm glad I did... the trip turned out to be phenomenal. I hiked past waterfalls, over a boulder field and through a plethra of marmots to Reed Lakes - beautiful blue-green glacial lakes tucked on a mountain side. I camped next to upper Reed Lake, in a flat and grassy spot with gorgeous views in all directions. My cooking spot, down a ways (due to bear considerations), had equally spectacular vistas. In the evening the rain let up and I was able to cook free of splating water (even so, I still managed to burn diner) and the lifting clouds led to a great evening jont up the nearby hillside.

The moral of this story: getting outside is good for the soul.


The perfect spring!Water was literally shooting out of the side of the mountain.

If you look close you can see a moskito on my forehead...there certainly are a few of those in Alaska right now!

My tent site


I mean, some people might call this beautiful


Upper Reed Lake

Breakfast: oatmeal, the remainder of my hot cocoa mix, dried milk and cinnamon. Yum!


The peak up above

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate you. I need mountains.

Going to ride my mtn bike now...

I'm gonna be in CO last week of the month, you going to be around? Shoot me an email.

3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn, I was hoping for an honorable mention for having suggested the trip ;)

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on i LLOOVVVEE AK. REED LAKE ROCKS


Go SEAWOLVES

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home