From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Happy Solstice!!!

Happy Solstice! Just like the last time I wrote those words (only in celebration of the longest day of the year), I am now in Bariloche, and it's divine. The snow.... the mountains.... I really think the Japanese guy who's staying in the same room as me at the hostel thinks I'm crazy because I just sat there cooing for a good little while, "look at the snow!" Or actually it was, "Mira, la nieve." In my excitement I forgot that he speaks no Spanish at all, and started talking to him in Spanish. At one point the flakes were so big that they looked like ping-pong balls. Incredible, really incredible!


My 22 hour bus ride between Buenos Aires and Bariloche passed so nicely. I had a front, upper level seat that let me take in all the views. The bus wasn't even half-full which meant lots of space to spread out. I had my mate and thermos, which not only was pleasant to drink, but made me feel very Argentinian, esp. when I started sharing it with the bus steward. The book I'm in the middle of is excellent; I read for hours and hours staight. It's about an Argentine couple that traveled from Argentina to Alaska in a 1928 Graham-Paige car. The coolest part is that I met the couple when they were in Alaska and wrote an article about them for the school newspaper. Also, the temperature during the whole bus ride was perfect, neither too hot nor too cold (this is usually the hardest part of bus travel). And I slept really well, better than I have in a while. I've decided that Argentine bus rides are like grocery shopping. I don't have a particularly good reason for enjoying either activity, but I really do enjoy these activities.


The first thing I did after arriving to the hostel was take a nice long shower -- hot with good pressure, really a luxury! Then I went to my favorite coffee shop that makes wonderfully tasty sandwhiches and a strong cup of coffee. Inside quiet chatter mixed with the smell of fresh roasted beans, permiating every corner of the place.


I like that people wear ski hats in Bariloche. In Buenos Aires, even though it was really cold, nobody ever wore a hat. It was always really obvious that I was a passer-through just by my hat. Here it's different. Here I'm in a ski town!!!



Love to you all on this very short day of the year,



Amy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home