From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Saturday, January 23, 2010

The power of powder

Today was just one of those days ...

I woke up at 6:30 a.m. to Zippy throwing up repeatedly ...

The director of the ski school happened to come along during my most disconcerted moment. One 3 year old totally wiped out up the hill while the other two skiied into a gully, after not listening to me when I asked them to stop. I got the, "Amy, are you doing OK?" from the ski school director as he helped the two little girls out of the gully ...

An hour before the end of class, all of my kiddos hit the wall and simultaneously burst into tears (Thank goodness for the teepee ... where we played the last hour) ...

BUT THEN ... at the end of the day, after sending the youngsters home, I had just enough time to sneak in a "victory lap," as I like to call it. My friend and I caught the last tram to the top of the mountain. Up top, snow literally blinded us, it was falling so hard. We headed down Rendezvous Bowl for the Hobacks, skiing knee deep fresh powder the whole way. My friend nicknamed me Pocahontas because I was making so many happy whooping noises as we floated through wide-open glades and steep trees. An hour later, a less than steller day had turned into a steller day. Talk about stress relief! Any job that includes pow-pow in the benes is definitely my kind of job! We were covered head to toe in beautiful white fluff!

And the best part ... snow is supposed to hammer us all week long!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home