From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Friday, February 24, 2006

The official update

I realize it has been a pitifully long time since I last wrote, but for good reason...that reason being that I've been fully and happily immersed in my life here in Guatemala. This past week I started my volunteer work. I couldn't ask for a better position. I'm interviewing 30 different organizations in and around Xela for the ministry of economics. The ministry is interested to know exactly what each organization is doing and how much they're producing, so that they can organize exposes, provide training where needed, and coordinate the groups in general. This means that everyday I’m meeting new people and visiting new places. I’m also using my Spanish un monton (literally translated, a mountain). It’s not an understatement to say that this work is a bit of a challenge, but the great opportunity to learn about Guatemalan culture makes it worth every moment. Yesterday, after I had interviewed an organization that helps groups of campesinos obtain loans to buy their own land, one of the ladies who works for the organization invited me to drink a cup of coffee. We talked for two hours about the social and cultural realities of Guatemala. It was so interesting. I gained so many insights. The day before I visited a women’s cooperative in this beautiful mountain town. They let me taste a piece of their homemade chocolate. I’ve never tasted anything like it in my life. It was incredible! These are just a couple of the amazing experiences I’ve had in this week alone.

So yah, all is well. Last weekend I hiked Volcano Tacujumulco, the highest point in Central America, with some friends. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful hike. The Tues. before I hiked Volcano Santa Maria (near Xela) under the full moon. We arrived at the top for the sunrise! On one side the sun was rising, on the other side the lights from Xela were fading and on the other side Santiaguita (an active volcano) erupted every 20 minutes or so… What a view! I promise I’ll get those photos up soon.

I thought I would close this e-mail with a quick rose and thorn:

Rose: Buying fresh squeezed orange juice every morning from a really sweet lady right near my Spanish school. I literally watch her cut the oranges and squeeze the juice all for the price of 50 cents.

Thorn: You think people in the U.S. are bad about cell phones- its worse here. It doesn’t matter if your in the middle of a deep conversation or an important business meeting, if someone’s cell phone rings they answer it. One more than one occasion I’ve thought… “couldn’t you just call that person back.”

All right, well I’m off to drink coffee with a friend. I love you all lots and I’ll get some pictures up soon.

Ciao,
Amy

1 Comments:

Blogger condottiero said...

Hey Amy! I am really happy that you are having fun in Guatemala! I know that you would leave a HUGE impact in the lives of EVERYBODY that has had the opportunity to meet you here in my beautiful country.

I will be waiting for the insights of the comments that people has given you about the reality of my country. Even do I live here, it sometimes make me feel that I live in a AMAZINGLY BIG bubble.

XOXO,

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home