From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Friday, February 10, 2006

Holas!

Greetings to all! Today is Xela, the sun is shinning and so am I. I can't believe I've already been here for five weeks. This trip is going to go insanely fast. Today was my last day of spanish classes. Next week I'm going to do some traveling and then I will begin volunteering afterwards. Learning spanish has been and continues to be so much fun. I feel like everyday I'm able to communicate just a little bit better. It's invigorating! So tonight is my graduation dinner from the school. I currently have in my possession 15 mangos (which cost $1.50), a pound of sugar and cinemon. I'm going to try to make "Mangos en Miel," a traditional dessert here, for the dinner. If it turns out the way its supposed to, its going to be good. Wish me luck!

Yesterday I watched Perros Amores in spanish. It's a really really good Mexican movie. If any of you can find it with subtitles I highly recommend it. Don't rent it if you're looking for something light though, its definitely not. It is however, pure genius. The cinematography and the script are so well done. The movie weaves together the lives of three different groups of people and is full of twists and turns. So yah... interesting.

Now I'm off to my graduation. Will those of you who live in Alaska and Colorado let the snow know that I send my greetings. I have to admit that every now and then I long for one good tele turn, especially when I hear about all the fresh that has been dumping in the north. Whenever these moments come about however, I'm consoled by the fact that I am so very happy here in Guatemala.

Loves,
Amy


My classroom at school


The outside of my school (my school is on the second floor). The market is right across the street which is awesome for buying food during break, but can create a noisy scene below when I'm trying to understand how the hell to use the subjunctive in spanish =)


The beer facory in town- gotta love Gallo


A pila (used to wash clothes)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home