From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Monday, March 20, 2006

An ode to Mangos

I thought I would take this moment to let you all know that it is mango season here in Guatemala. This means:

1) I walk out my front door, go one block to the market and have heaps of Mangos to choose from. Did you know there are many different varieties of mangos? I didn't... but now I'm learning the names of each type.

2) I eat at least 2 to 3 mangos a day and pay nearly nothing. Aside from the fact that my family usually already has heaps of them in the house, yesterday I paid 1 Quetzal for a dozen mangos (that's about 13 cents).

3) I always seem to have mango fiber stuck between my teeth despite the fact that I floss 12 times per day. On this last point it doesn't help that nobody cuts mangos here, rather they eat them as you would an apple. Everytime I have tried to take the logic path of cutting mango slices my family is quick to point out that I don't actually need to do that. Thus I have given into the Guatemalan way of eating mangos.

On a side note: Given that we had nothing else to do for the 10 or 11 hours Felicitas and I spent on the bus on Sat., we ate quite a number of mangos during the course of the day. Not an easy feat when your crammed against people under the sweltering heat. But it was well worth the pain!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, I LOVE mangos... I went out and bought one for myself to celebrate Valentines Day this year- and you know what's funny? I didn't have a knife, so I ate them "Guatemala style"! And I didn't even know!
Amanda

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home