From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Brrr....

Crazy! This time last year I was in Argentina.

Now a year later I find myself dead in the middle of winter. The expected high today... a whopping 8 degrees (better than the -26 degrees predicted for Fairbanks though). And the sun hit the mountain peaks at about 11 a.m. this morning. I expect it will make its departure sometime around 3 p.m. today.

The pictures show the ice build up on my bedroom window. Brrr.... (Enlarge them for a good look at the ice)

Going for a run yesterday was quite the experience. I wore long underware under my running pants, three layers on top, a hat, an ear warmer, gloves, wool socks... and the first five minutes were still spent convincing myself that the numbness would go away once I got going... needless to say my pace picked up a bit...

The cold actually wouldn't be so bad, if there was at least some dry, light snow for skiing to go along with it, but things are pretty darn brown around here.

On the "glass is half-full side" of things, it does make for good population control... it's one way to keep this beautiful, amazing place from being completely overrun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home