From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Saturday, September 18, 2010

The tremendous trudge

Here's some photos from pacing Mike Weston at the Grand Teton 100 miler ... I wrote a little bit about it in the blog post below ... but in essence I got to witness a brand new meaning for perseverance ... in spectacular country surrounded by spectacular people!

Starting out around 7 p.m. up Fred's Mountain ... didn't seem so steep my first time up, but by the second time up it was practically vertical
The sunset on Saturday
I enjoyed this sign ... since there was barely 20 of us out on the course in the middle of the night
In the vicinity of 5 a.m. on Sunday and still smiling
The sunrise at the top of Fred's
One of the most spectacular sights I've seen in a long time ... sunrise on the Tetons!
Just amazing!
Loved the early morning sunlight
At around noon on Sunday I desperately needed an hour of sleep, so I asked Mike's wife, Connie, if she would pace Mike for a three-mile uphill road portion of the course, and I caught a ride to the next aid station for a quick snooze. I literally collapsed in the woods - a stone's throw from the aid station - and was in dreamland within seconds. When I woke up an hour later I felt like a new person ... refreshed and ready to keep on movin'.
Mike's inspiring finish ... 35 hours, 50 seconds ... 10 minutes before the 36-hour cutoff time. What incredible perseverance!
A kiss from Mike's wife Connie
A hug from race director Lisa
Sunday early evening ... basking in Mike's sweet success

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you *so* much for your help and patience in making my finish possible. Those last 20 or so miles took way longer than I could have imagined, but if they had been easy they wouldn't have meant as much.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home