From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Crow Pass

Termination dust is an event I normally admire while tucked inside the comforts of Anchorage, usually sometime in September or October. But this year I lived it. The first frosting of snow spread over the Chugach mountains early this year, and I was convienently on top of Crow Pass when it came.

Thankfully, I have spent the summer hiking in rain and thus brought lots of layers. Even more thankfully, there was a hut on the trail which provided shelter from the pelting ice - in the 20 minutes after the storm began hikers streamed through the hut's doors. And most thankfully, I still had an absolutely phenomenal time.

The photos below reflect the hours when I could still catch glimpses of my shadow and the peaks overhead, the hours when I'd pause for a couple minutes to pick salmon berries or play in the snow, and the hours when conversation with Russell wasn't a battle against the wind.


A quick break

Chillin' (literally) on Crow Pass

Glacading

Mojo's first time on snow (he and Russell just moved from Arizona)


A glacial view from Crow Pass

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home