From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Saturday, March 31, 2007

The end of the world

I made it! One end of the world to the other! Tierra del Fuego, here I am! In the national park, which I'm going to tomorrow, there's a sign that gives the distance to Alaska. I definitely need to get my picture next to it.

Alaska's southern opposite is beautiful... often windy and rainy, but beautiful! Urshuaia, the city, has a very Argentine flavor, but like Alaska, it's stuck somewhere between the new tourism-oriented development and backwoods, rustic edges. I love it!


To travel from Calafate to Urshuaia I spent all day and night on a bus. In addition having to cross into and back out of Chile to get to Urshaia we had to do a beautiful ferry crossing across the Megellian Straights. This is a picture of my bus loading onto the ferry.

So this was by far the highlight of the bus trip! During the 20 min. ferry crossing a pod of toninos followed us, jumping in and out of the boat's wake. I didn't even know that toninos existed... I'd never heard of them, never seen a picture. So when a girl motioned me to the edge of the boat and I looked over and saw all these black and white dolphins I was blown away. It was out of this world.


The harbor in Urshuaia is beautiful, esp. when graced by a rainbow!

The full view


Yesterday afternoon I hiked with a few newfound friends up the side of a mountain outside of Urshuaia. The blowing snow and whipping wind cleared for some minutes to offer us this impressive view of the town below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home