From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Life's traverse

I had a few days without any plans in particular, so I decided to try a summit and a traverse I've had my eyes on for a while. The summit attempt got cut short when I woke up to ferociously blowing snow... it was a chilly night in the tent. The following day though proved to be "re lindo," with perfectly sunny blue skies. I went from Refugio Jakob all the way back to Bariloche following ridge lines. It took 12 hours exactly! You can imagine how a slept last night.

The route was basically straight forward, full of lots of scrambling over loose rocks. There were a few times through where I had to navigate up, under, over, below, or through some cliff faces, and wasn't completely sure of the route. Alone, I learned a lot about mental focus and confidence. I kept telling myself: "Amy, breathe, there's always a way."

About midday, after having proved to myself multiple times that, indeed, there always is a way, I realized how applicable my words are to life in general. Everytime I start to get overwhelmed by trying to plan my life path, I just need to stop and think, "Amy, breathe, you'll find the way."



Self-portrait on the ridge
My day finished with the full moon rising in the alpenglow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home