From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Monday, March 19, 2007

Torres del Paine

Some days ago I sat high up on a windy mountain ridge. Below me Valle Silencio, an amphitheater for the gods, reverberated soundlessly. My eyes traced the route my feet had traversed during the week previous -- from the Dickson Glacier to John Garner Pass to Laguna Amarga.

Some days ago I rock climbed on a face perched only meters above the rugged, chilling, yet graceful, Grey Glacier. The route demanded focus and creativity, but in the end I passed the crux and climbed to the anchor above.

Some days ago I couldn't fall asleep because Bree and I were laughing too hard in our too small tent. "Where's Werder?!?" Werder was a very quirky, but endearing old man from Switzerland who reminded us of Waldo (the children's books).

Some days ago I met Bree, a chica from Montana, on the bus between Bariloche and Rio Gallegos. After deciding to hike Torres together, we spent one night in a hostel, before getting separated due to a last minute mishap with incorrect passport stamps. Bree stayed behind in Argentina to get everything figured out with immigration while I went on to Puerto Natales to do trip prep. We met two days later at the park entrance and began not only to hike, but also to get to know one another. We ended up to be great hiking companions and friends!

Some days ago I was on John Garner pass with Bree and three other vibrant girls from the U.S. The wind was blowing, but the rain had thankfully let up. Fresh snow crunched under our feet. Great views danced in and out of clouds.

Some days ago Bree and I decided to make dinner with a park ranger, Nico, and a young Chilean couple. The food we all had to contribute complimented each other perfectly and together we ate a particularly excellent meal, followed by particularly excellent wine.

Some days ago I had one of those conversations that leaves a lasting impact. Alexis, who's worked as a park ranger for the past seven years, and I broached topics as wide-ranging as the importance of caring for nature to life purpose to the idea of adopting children.

I sit here on this overcast, windy day in Puerto Natales and I'm still trying to take in all in. More than 100 km. of happy, challenging and inspiring moments...

Cheers to Torres!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home