From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Friday, July 13, 2007

Lens on Santiago, Chile

Yesterday, while Guillermo was at work, I meandered around Santiago, Chile. For not having a map of any sort, only the vague directions Guille gave me, I was amazed at how effectively I naviagted the city... subway system and all. I guess that's just one of many things traveling teaches you, how to get your bearings quickly.

First I stopped by the art museum. There was an interesting picture of a female Christ hanging on the cross, as well as a "drawing" done completely by holding a magnifying glass to the sun and burning the canvass, but mostly I just confirmed that modern art isn't quite my thing. After the museum I passed through the fresh seafood market. What an amazing smell! To bad I wasn't hungry or I would have for sure stopped to eat. From there I made my way to the main square, Plaza de Armas. How much better does it get than old men playing chess, artists selling beautiful work, trees everywhere, nicely lit colonial buildings and churches, and a whole row of Taro card readers?!?! The pedestrian-only street, which led me from the square to the subway bound for home, seemed to have it all... except cafes where one could sit and read for an hour or two. There were cafes, nice looking cafes with fancy espresso machines, but they were filled with business men standing at the bar, behind which ladies in short red dresses took orders and made strong cups of joe. Interesting, to say the least.

Below are some of the images from the day...







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home