From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Friday, October 10, 2008

Backyard treasure

Xela and I are starting to settle into our new cabin. Today marks the first official day of Internet access for me ... so I'm moving back into the 21st century ... but still retaining plenty of rustic, quintessential Alaska.

Today was just one of those days at work. I got home feeling depleted and deflated. Xela, on the other hard, got home feeling buoyant and bouncy ... her way of saying, "mom, is it time for our daily run?"

Well, I couldn't quite get myself motivated to go for a run, but I could get myself motivated to get out the door.

We headed down the trail that leads from the back door of our cabin to basically endless trails through Chugach State Park and Chuguch National Forest. I mosied along, Xela leaped down the trail, every now and then running back to make sure I still trailed.

Five minutes into our walk I heard a big "kerplunk," and then "splash." It sounded like somebody had cannonballed off the boardwalk into the lake up ahead. Expecting that to be a very unlikely scenario, I approached cautiously.

The lake came into view and there was a mama grizzly and her two cubs swimming through the water!

I put a leash on Xela and we slowly walked up the trail - giving the trio plenty of room. They didn't even notice us go past.

At the next boardwalk, a fair distance away, I stopped and watched the bears as they made their way down river in the opposite direction.

Only the sound of salmon jumping out of the water pierced the dusk silence.

As the skies darkened, we continued down the trail.

A few minutes later a shrill sound rang through the forest. The more we walked, the louder and hoarser the shrill became. In a very eerie way, it sounded like a little kid screaming.

Following the noise, I spied a big bird perched in a tree. I'm not much of a birder and I couldn't quite figure out what type of bird it was.

I watched it for a minute or two and walked on.

The bird followed, swooping right in front of use before landing on a branch - this time perfectly silhouetted by the faded grey night.

My best guess: a great horned owl. It certainly had the two pokes (for lack of better words) sticking out of its head.

By the time we returned to our cabin, my whole demeanor had done a 180. It's a true treasure to have Alaska as my backyard.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home