From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Friday, February 27, 2009

Sunshine, shuffleboard and sealife

A couple of weeks ago I went to Florida for a (fabulous) conference at the Poynter Institute. Given the long journey and the exotic destination, I took a couple of extra days to explore St. Petersburg and soak in some rays. Jill and Chad, my gracious www.coachsurfing.com hosts, not only let me stay with them for a couple of nights, but also took me to the beach, taught me how to play shuffleboard and pointed the way to delicious Cuban, Southern and Mexican food.

Not pictured below: my encounter with dolphins. I was out running along the coast as the sun was setting ... when out of the corner of my eye I saw a fin bob out of the wake. I screeched to a halt, walked to the water's edge and then spent the next several minutes watching a couple of dolphins swim around only a stone throw away. In my fit of excitement, I promised myself to never again make fun of tourists who work themselves into a frenzy over a moose.

Day one in the sun
At the docks
The St. Petersburg skyline
The waterfront
Picturesque
Green galore
Silky sand
Jill and Chad
A bench in the courtyard of the Poynter Institute
Pretty bird

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home