From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Monday, March 08, 2010

Dawn patrol

This morning was phenomenal is every way ... I couldn't stop thinking, "there's no place I'd rather be, and nothing else I'd rather be doing." Karen, Kevin, Galen and I headed out to East Mail for a dawn patrol backcountry ski. We were on the road by 6 a.m., skinning up by 7 a.m., skiing by 9 a.m. and home by 11 a.m. Despite the ubiquitously crusty conditions, we somehow managed to find a sweet stash of powder on a beautiful north facing pitch. We decided to name to run "Zippy's" because he led the charge ... bouncing gleefully down the slope. To the rest of our credit, our smiles were nearly as big as Zippy's when we took our turn to descend.

Skinning up bright and early in the morning.
Checking out a possible ski route before begin the ascent up the peak.
As always ... a great view from top and a happy crew.
Galen soars down the slope.
Kevin glides through knee deep powder.
Karen swoops in for a landing after a skiing a steep pitch.
Galen pulls to a stop.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home