From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The feeling of infinity

Karen, Zippy and I had a great day! We headed up to Togwotee Pass to ski Brecca Mountain. With perfectly clear skies and spring sunshine, we chose our destination more for the views than the snow ... which was capped by a fairly wicked sun crust. Standing on top of Brecca, we had the feeling of infinity ... spectacular views rolled away endlessly in every direction. To the southwest the Tetons jagged into the blue horizon, like on old-timer's logging saw tipped up on its side. Below us a sea of white frothed and lapped ... waves frozen in time. Nearby, rock bands piled on top of one another, forming dramatic and towering mountains that looked like the sand castles I used to build on the beach. And the three of us - Karen, Zippy and I - became totally entranced ... until biting wind numbed our fingers and noses ... and we decided to make our choppy descent through the aforementioned sun crust.

The view of the Tetons from the road, as we drove up to Togwotee.
A wider angle.
Zippy is in his element ... to say the least.
"Zippy, Karen, turn around and smile."
Up we go ...
Not a bad view ...
Mom and puppy head off into the great horizon.
Zipster and I smile for a photo.
Karen heads up toward the peak.
What an amazing place to be skinning up!
Zippy and I follow Karen's tracks to the peak of Brecca.
Karen says its another great day to be out.
The Tetons spike up in to the horizon.
When the sun crust got the better end of me, and I took a little tumble, Zippy was Johnny on the spot to see if I needed any licks.
A sure sign of a good day ... a tired puppy asleep in the backseat.
What a cutie!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home