From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Monday, March 29, 2010

Sizzling and spectacular

Yesterday Martha and I headed up Red Creek in the Snake River Canyon for a backcountry ski tour. The snowpack on the lower portion of the mountains in the area had more or less melted, so we had a pretty substantial bootpack up, before putting on our skins and climbing above treeline to wide open bowls filled with spring corn snow. As always, the seven or so hours we spent out on the backcountry left me calm, invigorated and altogether happy. It's so lovely to have mountain savvy lady friends.
When the wind wasn't blowing, the temperatures were sizzling hot ... we were down to our T-shirt base layer within an hour during the morning hike up.
Martha saved the day by bringing wax to rub onto our skins to keep the wet spring snow from balling up underneath our feet ... I was less than thrilled to be hiking an extra 20 pounds of snow up the mountain ... the climb was long enough as is.
Martha stopping to check out the map.
Yep, we're still in Red Creek.
A quick food break ... I used my skis to create a lounge chair ... perfect for sunbathing.
The intent Mr. Zipster.
Up we go.
Martha picks a safe route up the mountain.
Checking out the scenery.
A spectacular place and a spectacular day with Martha.
Amy and Martha - self portrait.
Martha orients with the map.
Our gorgeous tracks down.
On the way out we had a to do quite a bit of ski shwaking (bush waking) because the so much of the snow pack on the lower mountain had melted. I came around the corner to find Martha smack dab in the middle of a big brown dirt patch ... not my prime choice for skiing conditions, but hey, whatever works, right?
A close up of skis on sticks and sage brush.
I put on heavy duty sunscreen chapstick, and then without thinking about it, a few minutes later I gave Zippy a big kiss on the forehead ... leaving the perfect imprint of lips. Pretty funny. "Somebody loves me."
Once again, mission complete ... a tired dog riding home in the backseat.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home