From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Skiing 25 Short

In mid-December JB and I went out to ski some super light, springy, soft and downright fun snow in Grand Teton National Park. We climbed up and descended a mountain face called "25 Short," named for the fact that it's 25 feet short of 10,000 feet. We met super early, leaving up plenty of time to finish the day with a beer and pizza at Dornan's, a restaurant in the national park with amazing picture windows that look out over the whole of the Tetons. Here's a few images from the day.

JB cuts a skin track up the mountain

My new skis. I'm in love! I even told Cory he's lucky I'm sleeping with him and not my new skis. As a fellow skier, he took that comment as a compliment. They're the Icelantic Nomads with 22 Design Axl tele bindings.

We spent about an hour digging a pit to look at snow stability. There were a few questionable layers, but all in all this season as produced a fairly stable snow pack!

Tons of wind and snow on top ... not the type of weather you hang out in

The Grand Teton is behind me ... but obscured by the clouds

Yummy powder

25 short is that peak in the background

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home