From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A 'beary' interesting morning run

Zippy and I met a meandering bear this morning - while out on a run on the trails behind my cabin. I knew a grizz had been hanging around the area, so for most of the morning, I made a ruckus, shouting various combinations of "hey, hey, hey" and "hey-ho" into the frosty morning air. But as I closed in on the last five minutes of the run, my mind began to think about what I needed to do to get ready for work, and as a result lapsed in my noise-making efforts. Zipster and I were floating along quite peacefully, when we looked up to see the big bear, with blond highlights, strolling right down the path toward us. I did a 180 degree twirl with the focus of a prima ballerina, and Zippy and I made our retreat back the way we came, in search of another path. Zippy is really good around large wildlife, several close moose encounters this summer haven't so much as sparked a bark, and he hardly noticed the bear. The bear didn't really pay us much attention either. It sort of looked up when I called Zippy, but then quickly returned to its morning stroll.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home