From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Empanadas and palabras

We touched down in Buenos Aires this morning, arriving to inviting 77 degree summer weather. Coming from frozen Jackson Hole, the landscape felt remarkably green and lush. I basked in the life and vigor ... the buzz ... people parked in small grassy spots to hang out for the afternoon to drink mate ... families walking along the river ... children splashing in swimming pools ... ahh, beautiful summer.

A few hours and one taxi ride later, we were at the domestic airport in Buenos Aires, leaving the warm bluesky day for the overcast, exotic landscapes of southern Patagonia. As our plane circled in for a landing, I couldn't help but think that we were landing on a different planet. Deep aqua blue lakes and rivers punctuated an otherwise very brown and barren landscape. Low clouds obscured the jagged peaks and grinding glaciers tumbling out of the distance.

The trip went with out hitch ... suprising since it started out with a canceled flight, because of a blizzard that pummeled Jackson Hole the night before I left. Good people at United Airlines got me rebooked on new flights, put me upfront in exit row seats so that I could make my tight connections, and put a priority tag on my luggage ... so that everything showed up in Buenos Aires.

Four flights later ... and here I am ... not in a foriegn land, but a familiar land. From empanadas to palabras ... I innately get this country. That honorary Argentine citizenship my friends bestowed on me last time I was here never left the fibers of my being. At every turn I'm delighted ... to rediscover Toro, a grapefruit soda that I love ... to pass a museum in Buenos Aires where I saw a particularly memorable art showing ... to listen to the cadence and candor of Castellano, the Argentina version of Spanish.

Here I am, back in beautiful Argentina.

Signing off with happiness and love,

Amy

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home