From North to South

Amy's ramblings. Once upon a time these ramblings pertained to my 5 months in Guatemala and Honduras. Then they followed the ebb and flow of my final semester in Alaska. From there things really went south ... to Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. After 8 months in the Andes, I fell back under Alaska's spell … working at a newspaper and wandering mountains. Now I'm somewhat south again ... in Jackson Hole, WY, teaching ski school on the clock and making fresh tracks off the clock.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alaska, United States

I've come to realize that if you have faith in the world, the world will show you amazing and beautiful people, places and things

Saturday, October 24, 2009

To be a liver

It's a little unnerving to delete, recycle and throw away so much stuff in one day ...
It's also refreshing.
I spent the better part of the day today sorting through the last year and half. File cabinets cleared out, computer hard drives cleared out, e-mail inboxes cleared out (thousands of e-mails gone in a moment).
When it was all said and done I walked away with a CD player, four plants and two boxes - one containing copies of every single paper I oversaw as editor and the other filled with the pictures that hung on my office wall. I also loaded to maximum capacity a 4GB jump drive.
My office felt so vacant. The purple, orange and yellow walls, which I painted to help keep the short winter days bright, were all that remained of me.
Now it's the same process all over again, but on a bigger scale.
My lil' cabin it's time to say goodbye.
Simplifying - while not always easy - opens the way to great freedom.
It's a way to focus on what's important in life, release unnecessary attachments and allow beautiful moments to unfold spontaneously.
It's with that philosophy that I announce ...
I'm no longer a managing editor ...
I'm now a liver (not the organ, my made up noun from the verb "to live.")

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home